The South River Police Department is asking for the public’s assistance following an investigation into multiple reports of alleged public exposure in South River, New Jersey, that resulted in criminal charges against a 21-year-old New York man.
According to police, several reports were received between July 2 and July 7, 2026, involving a male allegedly exposing himself in public to members of the community. Investigators said most of the reported incidents occurred in areas just off Whitehead Avenue, including locations near Magiera Street, Spring Street, and Jeffrie Avenue.
The investigation was led by Detective Travis Taylor, with assistance from Detective Jonathan Torres. Police said investigators reviewed surveillance footage provided by local residents and used that information to develop a suspect.
With additional coordination involving the South River Police Department’s Patrol Division, a/Sgt. Molina, and the New York City Police Department, authorities identified the suspect as Anthony Lopez, 21.
According to the department, Lopez has been charged with five counts of lewdness. An active arrest warrant has also been issued, and investigators believe Lopez may currently be residing in New York City. Police said he had been visiting South River during the period when the reported incidents occurred.
Authorities believe there could be additional individuals who experienced similar incidents involving Lopez but have not yet contacted police. The department is therefore encouraging anyone who may have been a victim or witness, or anyone who has information that could assist investigators, to come forward.
Anyone with information regarding Lopez’s whereabouts or additional incidents is asked to contact D/Sgt. Kenneth Nale at (732) 254-9002, ext. 123, or Detective Jonathan Torres at (732) 254-9002, ext. 113.
South River Police Chief Mark Tinitigan praised the investigators and patrol officers involved in the case, emphasizing the importance of cooperation between law enforcement and members of the community. Police also thanked the New York City Police Department and residents who provided surveillance footage that assisted the investigation.
The department’s appeal highlights the importance of reporting incidents that may help investigators determine whether additional offenses occurred. Information from witnesses and potential victims can assist authorities in establishing the full scope of an investigation.
At this stage, Lopez remains an accused defendant. The charges are allegations, and he is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.
The investigation remains active, and South River police are continuing to seek information from anyone who may have relevant knowledge about the reported incidents or Lopez’s whereabouts.